Monday, July 7, 2008

Getting Back to Work



It's been two years since I graduated with my MFA and I haven't done much on the writing front.
Granted, I've picked up some other useful skills in that time: how to deal with an invisible boss, how to hire 20 students in three weeks, how to move apartments, how to argue with an insurance company.

But since things have stabilized on the work and health front, it's time to get back to work. Armed with my city library card, I am giving up for the most part ordering books through the school's ILL (because their reservation system is a pain in the ass.) I'll keep using it for academic books, but for everything else, it's the Harold Washington Library, baby. The gargoyles on the top of it always make me thing of the beginning of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

The blog will mostly be books I'm reading, or snippets of poems I'm working on. Mostly, it's a log for me, so that I can say at the end of the summer, or this time next year, that I did actually work on my craft, or at least read some good books.

Good memoirs I've read lately:

Without a Map (Meredith Hall)
Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction (David Sheff)
Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes it to the Streets (Sudhir Venkatesh)

I'll post on the memoirs later, either today or tomorrow.

No comments: