Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Mom Was a Hippie

She had long hair (parted down the middle), did batik, and made us shop at the organic food store. I think we were one of 10 families that kept that store in business--for some reason, health food in a small Southern town in the early 80's was just about 20 years ahead of schedule.

She had an acoustic guitar and played a lot of James Taylor, John Denver, and some Joan Baez. We sang in the car, we sang while cooking, we picked blueberries from the backyard and made cobblers in the summer.

But this isn't really the point of this post. The point is this: I have had the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" in my head for two days now. Songs usually last for about a week with me, so the cats will continue to hear me singing this for quite awhile. I didn't understand the appeal of John Denver when I was younger, but I think I get it now.

He sings without irony.

It's kind of beautiful.

No comments: